Availability & Pack Information
Fish arrives Mon. & Thurs. Boston
Dressed Wester Ross
Aug-Nov: 3-6kg, Dec-Aug: 5-12kg
Dressed Highland Blue
Aug-Nov: 4-7kg, Dec-Aug: 6-12kg
- Dressed Pack: 40-50 lbs, all gill tagged
- Fillet Form: PBO, scaled, trim “d”, tail tagged
- Fillet Size: Varies through the year
- Fillet Pack: 5kg (10-12 lbs), 12kg (26-29 lbs)
- Smoked Forms: Whole Fillets and Retail packs
Taste Notes and Characteristics:
The Art of Quality & the Elevation of Flavor
This is a premium salmon, using superior all natural feeds containing organic fish meal, and using aquaculture best practices to assure perfect tasting fish. This is a salmon that chefs-retailers call out by name on menus/and in fish cases. With bright flesh and good (intramuscular) levels of fat, these superior salmon lend themselves to all raw (sashimi/crudo), cooked, and smoked preparations.
Hand-Rearing at Wester Ross:
In Harmony with Nature
Hand rearing means being hands-on in every detail and not ever relying on machines or cameras to know how the fish are doing. A truly artisanal process, wild at heart, today’s farmers are the second generation grandchildren of the original farmers, continuing their legacy and ultimately yielding the perfect salmon.
Freedom Foods/RSPCA Endorsed
Wester Ross Fisheries has been certified as RSPCA Assured from the very beginning of the program. One of the first farms to pass the certification audit, directors Gilpin Bradley and Hugh Richards are members of the RSPCA working group for both freshwater and saltwater practices. This assures the fish are cared for properly and treated humanely.
Creating the best tasting fish we can
Hand-feeding has been a central practice at the farm since the beginning. Wester Ross salmon farmers are meticulous with their fish and the environment. They also have one of the world’s best “feed-conversion ratios” (less than 1:1 FCR), greatly reducing dependency on wild fish stocks.
- Hand-feeding results in stronger, tastier fish and a cleaner environment, delivering best results.
- It allows farmers to respond in real-time to how much the fish are eating, producing the best results, while reducing feed waste and accumulation of feed on the seafloor.
- Wester Ross salmon are strong, lean, firm fish, perfect for white table cloth, retail, sushi, and smoked markets.
From one generation to the next, Wester Ross farmers are dedicated to using the best farming practices to reach highest sustainable and ecological marks.
- Lowest pen densities: (99% water and 1 % fish per pen), allows fish plenty of room to swim, creates fantastic growth rates, helping to assure the fish are strong ,firm and healthy
- No use of antibiotics, medications, and growth promoters
- Our feed is comprised of organic fish trimmings destined for human consumption. Not relying on targeted wild caught fish ensures the world’s best FIFO ratio (FIFO 1:1).
- Wester Ross never uses antibiotics, slice, or peroxide
- Wild Wrasse feeder fish are used to eat sea lice from salmon as they appear, before they become a problem.
- Feed matrix: vitamins, Non-GMO vegetables proteins, organic fish trimmings meant for human consumption
- Panaferd, an organic natural pigment found in natural soil, enhances the color, and is vital to the health of the fish
- Complete traceability and identification: All Wester Ross whole fish are tagged, each with a sequential number
- Freedom from thirst, hunger & malnutrition
- Freedom from discomfort, pain, injury or disease
- Freedom to express normal behavior
- Freedom from fear & distress
- Global GAP
- Code of Good Practice
- Friend of the Sea
- Protected Geographical Indication
- Haccp approved
- Best Aquaculture Practices
FAQs about Wester Ross
Wester Ross salmon is “wild at heart”, farmed to feature the best aspects of wild salmon. The salmon are farmed in three seawater sites: Loch Kannaird, Loch Broom, and Little Loch Broom, all with the similar goal of maintaining a high standard, and creating the tastiest fish possible.
Wester Ross is a remote region of western Scotland where the mountains descend to the sea.
Near the coastal village of Ullapool in Scotland’s Wester Ross region.
Yes, 100% Scottish owned, grown and operated.
Contact Wheeler Seafood to find Wester Ross salmon.
Wheeler Seafood can direct you to a source for Wester Ross.
Wester Ross is a reasonably priced artisanal salmon.
Wester Ross is an artisanal, not an industrial, farmed Atlantic salmon.
Wester Ross is from a small, family owned salmon farm in western Scotland.
Wester Ross salmon is humanely raised using organic feed.
Wester Ross Salmon feed is made from trimmings of fish for human consumption.
Is Wester Ross a sustainable farmed salmon?
Wester Ross achieved the highest flavor and texture rating in the Boston Globe’s salmon tasting.
Wester Ross hand feeds their salmon a diet that is non-GMO and antibiotic free.
Wester Ross Salmon have never been given hormones or any other growth promoting chemicals.
Wester Ross gently raise their salmon without the use of pesticides.
Wester Ross Salmon feeds are free of artificial colorants.
Wester Ross Salmon has multiple quality certifications including the internationally recognized BAP (Better Aquaculture Practices).
All Wester Ross Salmon whole salmon and fillets are individually tagged and numbered to assure authenticity.
Wester Ross Salmon is a Kosher Certified farmed Atlantic salmon.
Wester Ross Salmon are grown in floating net pens that are 99% water to 1% fish.