Wheeler Seafood Premium Bronzini
About the Fish
European sea bass, loup de mer, robalo, or bronzini — no matter what you call it, this fish has always been a culinary feature. Historically, Eastern Europeans trapped these fish in lagoons, fattening them up before proudly serving them. In the 1960’s, French, Israeli and Greek scientists developed successful techniques for farming this delicate fish. Since then, the practice of farming this species has expanded around the globe.
Our Sourcing As veteran fishmongers, we recognize the characteristics of proper farming, responsible animal care, and environmental stewardship We source our premium bronzini from farms who have demonstrated care and consistency. We have identified a small number of farmers who are able to produce fish to our standards and bring them consistently to the North America market.
Taste Notes and Characteristics Delicate and flaky, this white-fleshed fish is perfect for whole or fillet preparations. Grilled, roasted, pan-fried or steamed, bronzini is highly regarded and is an important culinarily important.
Availability Whole fish available year-round.
- From: Eastern Mediterranean: Turkey, Cyprus, Greece
- Species: Dicentrarchus labrax
- GMOs: None
- Feeds: Fish meal & fish oils
- Feed Conversion Ratio:
- FCR (Feed Conversion Ratio) 1.8 kg - 2.3 kg; depending on season and water temperature
- Harvest: Chill
- 65 meters deep to maximize water circulation
- Temperature range 14C - 26C, the optimum for both sea bass and sea bream
- Certifications: BRC, IFS, NSF, UKAS, Global G.A.P.
Sales materials for customer download: