Kyuquot Sound Sablefish from canada
About the Fish
Since 2008, Kyuquot Sound Sablefish has graced some of the world’s most prestigious gatherings and most exquisite restaurants. The fish are island-grown and the farm is locally-owned. Committed to sustaining a healthy environment and community, the farm has a strong partnership with the Kyuquot First Nations. In the Nuu-Chah-Nulth language “Kyuquot” means “different people,” which is a symbol for their unique and different approach to sablefish aquaculture.
Taste Notes & Characteristics This is a premium white fish known for its large petal-like flakes as much as its rich, buttery flavor. Versatile, this sashimi-grade, naturally- raised sablefish is sought after by world-class chefs, both multi-Michelin starred continental-style chefs and Japanese chefs, from Paris to New York to Tokyo. Sablefish can be used in all types of culinary preparations; however, one of the characteristics of this particular fish is that Wheeler Seafood delivers black cod that is also sashimi-grade.
Availability Year-round availability. Dressed fish are packed in 45lb boxes.
- From: Kyuqot Sound, located off the Northwest coast of Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
- Species: Anoplopoma fimbria
- GMOs: None
- Feed manufactured by Taplow Feeds - complete marine based protein
- Pen depth: 90ft
- Pen density: <8kg/m3 meaning 12% -15% fish to water
- Water temperature: 6C to 8C
- Harvest: performed by Japanese technicians assuring minimum stress and tissue damage to ensure sashimi quality
- Form: Head-on, Gutted
- Yield: 54% depending on trim
- Fat content: 18%
- Hormones, Antibiotics and Anti-Foulants: None
- Certifications: Sable Fish Canada monitored, POSA (Pacific Organic Standards Association), FAO Certified
Sales materials for customer download: